Thursday, December 04, 2008

La boîte à gâteaux

Paris afternoon tea,watercolor on Etsy, 5.5" x 7.5
Here's something amusing and different Parisianne tour guide Anne Corrons of MesVitrinesNYC showed me...
Inside BHV a whole slew of interesting Xmas gifts complete in a box! Like this cake mix + recipes inside a box, just waiting for the wrapping paper!
Why haven't we thought of this idea I wonder?
Did you know the French are mad for "cake"? Cake for them is a loaf style tea cake and here it comes with the loaf pan plus recipe booklet included. You have to get the eggs, butter and milk I'm afraid...ahem
This is some sort of cupcake (?) concoction with gold doilies included... I should have looked more closely whilst I was stealing shots...next time!
A whole bunch of cooking gift sets in the window of Librairie Gourmande book shop!
Back at BHV, a mini stove box full of 14 different little recipe books! Sweet non?
This carton of "Fruits" is also full of recipe books (14) but what an amusing presentation! Who says the French don't know how to market?!
The same goes for the vegetable or legume carton...
Here a collection of verrine glasses plus cookbook! Don't you love it? So much better than just getting a cookbook on it's on for a gift don't you think?
Of course there has to be a bread gift box - this one is for a bread machine...
And another for making a baguette?
BONNE JOURNEE!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Hmmmm...
    I'd like the Verrine set and one of the Gateaux set and two of the cupcakey thingie...
    Where do I send the dough (no pun intended)? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 AM

    Mignon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish our retailers have more imagination, like the French. We can always trust the French for making our lives less boring. What will happen to the world if there is no France? I hate to think of that scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boxes and cake? No fair if they throw in ribbons too.

    I have a strange craving now not just to eat cake, but to make cake...checking for hypnotist in my monitor now.

    Do they have our passion for cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the French have our passion for cookies?
    Cookies = MACARONS!!!!!
    So oui! They adore les bisquits!
    MIAM :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:08 AM

    cousin heidi already thought of this one!
    ugh.
    my mixes and packaging were rather fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have all these fabulous book presentations at home! As a gift for my friends, I do not know which one I can choose!!!! It was a nice tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie Antoinette was on to something with the cake suggestion.This gorgeous post has made me wish I still had my easy bake oven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:56 PM

    What a great gift those box sets would be!! Isn't packaging one of the things the French do best? Lovely tea set btw.
    I am feeling an urge to have a tea party at my house just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the first image! great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I'm not a gourmande but I would love to receive any of those as a gift! So thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:18 PM

    After drooling over your blog, among other things, I couldn't stand it any more and decided to quit putting it off and get over to Paris myself. So here I am! It's funny you should post about the cook book sets today. I saw them myself and thought what a great idea. Madison Avenue could definitely take a page out of the French marketing book. I'm glad you took pictures of them. I didn't, but I did find some hand painted china with macarons and stole a shot of them. I'll send it on after I get home.

    Take care
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:19 PM

    I wish I were Christmas shopping in Paris this year!
    Don't you love how cute this stuff is?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:37 PM

    I'm pretty sure that we make our own
    gift boxes. Remember, pasta, pizza,
    cookies in a jar with all the ingredients. It just takes a little
    imagination and I'm sure at some point, we've all given or been given
    some type of food box.
    little bert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:41 AM

    I LOVE your blog!!! i'm moving to Paris in september and reading your blog just gets me THAT MUCH MORE excited!!!
    xoxo-ak-xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:59 PM

    I was so enthralled with the boite a legumes that I clicked on the link and prepared to buy it. Fortunately, I possess far too little French to complete the transaction...after all, what would I do with cookbooks I can't read? OH! You're right: I would learn French!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anything related to food is always good, n'est ce pas?! fun! When we were kids, my aunt gave us some kind of mini-baker that let us make tiny baked things--it had little pans etc. I haven't thought of that in years. I still remember wearing sweaters my grandmother knit for us and making those teeny-tiny baked goods on a cold night once, so the house would smell good. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new painting!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you