Saturday, November 21, 2015

Thank you Chanterelle, A Etoile d'Or, Gift 6-pack of Paris Maps

Thank you Chanterelle, for suggesting Tuesday, in the comments, I visit newly re-opened l'Etoile d'or.


Since 11/13 I've been mostly house-bound. Or venturing only a few blocks off Isle Saint Louis. Heading up to Montmartre was a big step out into the world, but well worth it.
And Thank you everyone for your kind and caring messages this week!


L'Etoile d'Or
is maybe the best, dreamy place to visit when your heart needs lifting.


Chocolate heaven.


And Bernachon, (top Lyonnaise chocolatier) headquarters. Everything in the shop is top drawer. La crème de la crème of confisiers.


So many of the best French regional bonbons


Naturally Bear wanted a picture with owner, Denise Acabo.


Cases and cases of deliciousness.


And Denise herself reminds you of Alice in Wonderland, full of joy and delight.


If you're an Alice fan, and who isn't tune in to BBC 4 Extra - a 3-hour special of readings and all sorts of Lewis Carroll diversions available for 29 days.

Amazing Denise was darting around the shop opening boxes, pulling out hidden treasures, force-feeding me Noisettines du Medoc.

No complaints were heard.

I finally decided on

pistachio-filled milk chocolate bar and 2 exquisite mushrooms.

Today at Salons des Coqs d'Ors I visited the stand of chocolate mushroom maker, Fabrice Gillotte from Dijon. No, unfortunately, we are Not related. The mushroom tops are filled with liquid caramel au beurre sale, the stems,  almonds-hazelnut praline. Miam!

At l'Etoile d'Or my eyes seized on the ribbon counter. Maim miam!

                                  Photo from ColeensParis.com
I know I've been MIA (missing in action) this week while I tossed and turned dreaming up a holiday gift tag/certificate (among other things). You definitely need French ribbon for a gift card. Have you been to UltraMode Mercerie? A treasure haven of  buttons, thread and ribbons on 3-4 rue de Choiseul 75002

I ended up with raffia, twine and Japanese braid. The gift card idea took longer..

At last this morning an Eiffel tower emerged (4" x 6") and I printed it on my watercolor paper. It looks like the real thing.

It goes with a brand new gift pack of 6 Paris map letters shipped FLAT in a cardboard-backed envelope. 
You can find it in my Etsy shop right now. The card work as a gift certificate too.
Turn right as you leave l'Etoile d'Or on rue Fontaine and walk towards Metro Blanche and the Moulin Rouge. Glorious. 

22 comments:

  1. no-stop dreaming Paris !Thank You so much PB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your maps look as luscious as Miss Denise's chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful shop you found. It looked like Aladdin's cave. So many ribbons and then the chocolate shop, wouldn't I love to get my hands on those chocolate mushrooms filled with liquid caramel au beurre sale, & the stems, almonds-hazelnut praline, to die for.So glad to hear you are plucking up courage and trying to get on with your life. Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip out. Those mushrooms were extraordinary. Almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie7:48 AM

    A wonderful photo bomb/reflection of yourself behind Denise's shoulder. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA!
      You have a great eye Debbie
      Never heard that word before...photo bomb.
      I try hard to stay OUT of the pictures. Thats why I have Bear ;)
      He's more photogenic..

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout out, Carol. Glad you made it up to see Denise. This post reminded me of the Kalouga bars I bought last week and finally tasted--holy wow, am I in trouble! I may have to try a couple of those fabulous mushrooms when I go back to restock. Keep your courage up; The city *is* more subdued than usual, and I think you feel it more in the center, but Parisians are tough. Holiday markets are open and the lights on the Champs Elysées are more dazzling than ever. Enjoy this nice weather before it goes away on Tuesday!

    Your gift tags are totally charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had her Kalooga bars last week! Where are you?
      Honestly they are too pricy for me or I would sucuumb but laundry and baguette comes first...I was at Les Coqs d'or and those mushrooms yelled out to me but I bought Spanish anchovies instead...more Omega-3s..haha

      Delete
    2. Staying a few more days near rue des Martyrs. I NEVER spend that kind of money on designer chocolate at home in NYC but it was my first trip to the shop in several years. And as you know she is quite the temptress! Have been commissioned to take back a present, so a prettily-wrapped bar is a natural--and another excuse to visit the shop.

      Delete
  7. I had read she re-opened..looks beautiful still..charming wrapping and your letters:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to visit that shop now that it's reopened. Denise appears to be delightful. Love the gift tags.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise's shop looks WONDERFUL. Your cards look a treat as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shop and I'm sure you lifted her heart as well. Your work is lovely, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing store - and an amazing woman!
    Packed to the rafters but neat as a pin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put it so well. My place is packed to the rafters and NOT neat as a pin! I wish...

      Delete
  12. So glad you got out and about Carol. Thanks for the tempting push to go to Denise's shop - great excuse for a jaunt to Montmartre, even for the mushrooms alone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did I hear someone say "Noisettines du Médoc"? Be still, my heart! Our "suppliers" are a French couple who come to work for three weeks in March at Chicago House. Of course, they can never bring nearly enough to satisfy our lust, but it's something!

    Bises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew!
      I have not been living...must go back to taste again the noisettes du medoc!

      Delete
    2. Absolument! Elles sont divines! Miam-miam!

      Bises!

      Delete
  14. Dear Carol, what you have written here about beginning to venture out from you neighborhood after the horrors reminds me of what I felt back in that September, when I finally decided to take a walk across the Park to East Side. It was a big step to take that walk.

    I think that your love for Paris transcends all. And enourages the rest of us to embrace your city.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information.
    Restaurant

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you