Thursday, October 06, 2016

Bear is in London!

3 guesses where I am?
LONDON! You got it PBers :) quite a few of you have been inquiring for my where abouts. Not to worry!

I'm in London to see the new Turner exhibit in Margate tomorrow but first Noriko gave us a fab tour of some London art stores. Yay! Have you ever been to Green and Stone?

On 259 Kings Road. All the buses stop nearby. A positive treasure chest of artists goodies

If you Love art supplies that is and who doesn't? Yum Yum

Green and Stone has been in Chelsea since 1929 though might you might think even longer.

They have simply the most gorgeous antique art supplies. Drool.

Then Noriko took us on the metro...ooops make that Tube! to Putney Bridge, Fulham
To Jackson's Art Supplies for more shopping. Art stores are better than candy stores by the way and less (no) calories too.
Nearby was this So British traditional cafe which Noriko says I must call a 'caff'. OK
Look! Bubble and Squeek with 2 fried eggs and bacon for a mere £4.95. Do not ask me what that is but it sounds terribly British doesn't it?
Hmmm...
Isn't this cat So British?
I'm sure Constable painted here. We're in Western London near Chisick something or other. Noriko says we must come back and visit darling Turnip Greens or was it Turnham Greens?
Don'r you love British bouquets? There's a new map of Paris art supply stores up on Etsy. I'm thinking maybe we should do one for London too non? Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast! If you like this post and want to support it, buy my Paris letters and watercolors or forward this to someone who might enjoy it. Cheers !

23 comments:

  1. My grandmother called mashed potatoes and rutabagas "bubble and squeak." She was very English and also made Roly Poly Pudding and Plum Pudding.

    I love your blog! Enjoy London

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun; the art shops look amazing. Pretty 💐 And the cat is complete with a bell! The antique art case is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH.... wish I had known you were here --- I too would make suggestions sorry you missed L Cornelissen near the British Museum... in business since 1855.. love it and G&S -- look at this site for others: http://painting.about.com/od/artmaterials/tp/art-shops-london.htm and yes, do a map for London, but also of the wonderful florists and flowers!!! You should come during Chelsea Flower Show week -- amazing decoration in flowers all over town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to Cornelisson's a lot but Green and Stone is very close to the club so easy peasy.

      Delete
  4. Great blog, as usual Carol. :-) Love the colored pencils photo; wish I could keep points like that on my pencils! Always break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British dish of leftover vegetables and potatoes from the Sunday roast, it usually includes cabbage and is then all fried up together. Quite delicious, haven't had it in years, maybe on Monday evening along with eggs from the chickens, I am sure the children will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Carol, I love, love, love Green and Stone. Just walking in the door and catching the scent of the place makes be glad to be artistic. Perhaps you also know that the only surviving Stockpot caff is just down the road from G&S? Cornelissen is definitely another gem. I've not been to Jackson's, but have made a note.

    Fun to see that Bear is still a traveller of style and taste. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)) I have passed the Stockpot sooo many times yet never went in. Next timeI will Frances!

      Delete
  7. Susan R5:17 PM

    You make everything and every place look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy S5:24 PM

    I'm so glad to hear that you've gotten over to the U.K. All of those shops look so quaint and

    colorful! If you happen to land in the Manchester Square area, you might want to visit the Wallace Collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a fabulous art smock from Green and Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you've hit on a great truth! Art stores really are better than pastry stores...all the gorgeous without the gorge! I have actually ordered some exoteric thing from Jacksons a long time ago. Still get their emails, just to see what fun stuff they have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. before I got to the end I said I am going to suggest that Carol do a SPECIAL EDITION of a map letter to buy individually or a caff scene or just anything London-even the underground(tube) as an original watercolor-I JUST LOVE HOSW YOU SEE THE WORLD-any world you happen to be in at the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks G!
      I'm coming back in November...maybe then I'll do it :))

      Delete
  12. EARLS COURT! LONDON!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan G12:16 AM

    You make everything and every place look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! Have fun! Wish I were there too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts have been particularly captivating recently and great fun. Here in Sri Lanka I can just about make do without European basics but the sight of the caff window advertising bubble & squeak just about did it for me. B&S is last night’s mashed potato and chopped up cabbage mixed and reheated with a bit of garlic and onion, lots of salt and pepper and maybe a few bits of bacon. For an Englishman, it is comfort food at its very best.
    Next time you go to London, visit Simpson’s in the City, tucked away just off Cornhill, and order steak & kidney pie with some bubble and some strong English mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rupert1:11 PM

      By the way, Don’t confuse Simpson’s in the Strand (well-known tourist trap, overpriced and rather silly) with Simpson’s Tavern just off Cornhill EC3 (hard to find, full of City spivs, cheap and totally authentic 18th century tavern).

      Delete
  16. Great shots of Bear and London, Carol; good to see him again :)
    My favorite is the one of Bear in the art supplies store.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol, you have done it again. Love this post. I have been to London and it ranks right up there with Paris. Have fun. Enjoy your new supplies. Will be waiting for the next watercolors.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you